Hi guys, I am writing just a summary about Robotium, because maybe I will start to work with it. So, if you have any tips or suggestion, please feel free to comment here.
Robotium is a popular Android automation framework for testing native and hybrid Android apps using the black box method. Licensed under an Apache 2.0 license and first released in 2010.
To use Robotium, you need either the source code or apk file for the app, Eclipse for building a test project, ADT (Android Development Tools), SDK (Software Development Kit), JDK (Java Development Kit), and the Robotium.jar file.
• You can develop powerful test cases, with minimal knowledge of the application under test.
• Allows user to test more flexible and convenient for analyzing results.
• Robotium allows us to take screenshots anywhere in the test (both for Emulator and Device) and save it to device internal memory or SD Card or Emulator
• The framework handles multiple Android activities automatically.
• Minimal time needed to write solid test cases.
• Readability of test cases is greatly improved, compared to standard instrumentation tests.
• Test cases are more robust due to the run-time binding to GUI components.
• Blazing fast test case execution.
• Automatic timing and delays.
Limitations of Robotium:
• Tied to JUnit 3 Instrumentation on device.
• Tied to one app process.
• It can’t work with different Applications in on test – if your application call another one (like Camera) – Robotium can’t “see” it and press any buttons there.
I’ve found this API: https://github.com/square/spoon, but I believe that we can configure parallel tests with Jenkins too.
Thank you guys ! See you next week 🙂