When do I need to create a Performance Test ?
To validate the behavior of the system at various load conditions performance testing is done. So you can reproduce several user performs for desired operations Customer, Tester, Developer, DBA and N/W management team checking the behavior of the system. It requires close to production test environment and several H/W facilities to populate the load.
What all thing involves in Performance Testing Process?
- Right testing environment: Figure out the physical test environment before carry performance testing, like hardware, software and network configuration
- Identify the performance acceptance criteria: It contains constraints and goals for throughput, response times and resource allocation
- Plan and design Performance tests: Define how usage is likely to vary among end users, and find key scenarios to test for all possible use cases
- Test environment configuration: Before the execution, prepare the testing environment and arranges tools, other resources, etc.
- Test design implementation: According to your test design, create a performance test
- Run the tests: Execute and monitor the tests
- Analyze, tune and retest: Analyze, consolidate and share test results. After that, fine tune and test again to see if there is any enhancement in performance. Stop the test, if CPU is causing bottlenecking.
What parameters should I consider for performance testing?
- Memory usage
- Processor usage
- Memory pages
- Network output queue length
- Response time
- CPU interruption per second
- Committed memory
- Thread counts
- Top waits, etc.
What are the different types of performance testing?
- Load testing
- Stress testing
- Endurance testing
- Spike testing
- Volume testing
- Scalability testing
Endurance vs Spike
- Endurance Testing: It is one type of performance testing where the testing is conducted to evaluate the behavior of the system when a significant workload is given continuously
- Spike Testing: It is also a type of performance testing that is performed to analyze the behavior of the system when the load is increased substantially.
How you can execute spike testing in JMeter?
In JMeter, spike testing can be done by using Synchronizing Timer. The threads are jammed by synchronizing the timer until a specific number of threads have been blocked and then release at once, creating a large instantaneous load.
What is concurrent user hits in load testing?
In load testing, without any time difference when multiple users hit on the same event of an application under the load test is called a concurrent user hit.
What are the common mistakes done in Performance Testing?
- Direct jump to multi-user tests
- Test results not validated
- Unknown workload details
- Too small run durations
- Lacking long duration sustainability test
- Confusion on definition of concurrent users
- Data not populated sufficiently
- Significant difference between test and production environment
- Network bandwidth not simulated
- Underestimating performance testing schedules
- Incorrect extrapolation of pilots
- Inappropriate base-lining of configurations
What is the throughput in Performance Testing?
In performance testing, throughput is referred to the amount of data transported to the server in responds to the client request at a given period of time. It is calculated in terms of requests per second, calls per day, reports per year, hits per second, etc. Performance of application depends on throughput value, higher the value of throughput -higher the performance of the application.
What are the common performance bottlenecks?
- CPU Utilization
- Memory Utilization
- Networking Utilization
- S limitation
- Disk Usage
What are the common performance problem does user face?
- Longer loading time
- Poor response time
- Poor Scalability
- Bottlenecking (coding errors or hardware issues)